Saturday, May 9, 2015

Time To Get Fresh

     

     This picture may seem odd. It is most certainly a different combination of ingredients. I use these ingredients weekly as a base for making my "bean crap" as my wife calls it. I combine the beans, the Ro-Tel tomatoes and peppers, the onions, the olives, etc. I end up with a bowl of tasty beans that I eat as part of my lunch or dinner every day.
     Beans are good for your metabolism and blood sugar. The reason for this is that the soluble fiber in beans provides a long lasting source of energy, thanks to the complex carbohydrates and proteins available for your body to use. Since these macronutrients take longer for your body to break down, blood sugar levels remain stabilized. 

      I was just reading an article about food that looks like a specific body part being good for that body part.  They went on to say that walnuts are good for the brain, the inside of a carrot looks like an eye, celery stalks look like bones on x-ray, sweet potatoes look like your  pancreas, etc.  While interesting, it just reiterates something we already know.  Fruits and vegetables are good for you.  The more of them you eat, the fuller and the better you will feel.  Since we seem to have gone right past Spring into Summer, you should be thinking about watermelon and other melons, sweet corn, fresh salads and other produce.  My wife can't wait for the Farmer's Market to open because she absolutely loves supporting the local growers and getting the freshest selections. 
     Also, a reminder, to get up and go outside.  Take a walk, pull some weeds, sweep the sidewalks...whatever makes you move.  Don't forget the sunscreen.




Eat your fruits and vegetables...


No comments:

Post a Comment