Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Anything Is Better Than Nothing

       I was watching The Today Show this morning, when they aired a story about a 20 second workout.  While normally, I would have turned the channel,  I watched the segment.  The author of the piece, theorized that a 20 second, high intensity workout, done at least three times a week is beneficial to your body and can help you to lose weight.  On the program, they ran up the stairs full blast at 20 seconds, they rode an exercise bike for 20 seconds at a high rate of speed, they ran at full blast on a treadmill for 20 seconds. This workout increases cardiac output and they actually broke a sweat doing it.
     I was skeptical, but then I thought, why not?  If this is all you can do during the week, you should do it.  While I personally believe it's great if you could walk or run around the park, walk around your neighborhood, walk, run or bike for about 20 minutes a day, a few times a week --anything, any little bit, any contribution to your fitness would be helpful.       My wife cringes when I say that "I cried the blues 'cause I had no shoes, til I met a man who had no feet".  One of my favorite sayings.  You were given a body, no matter how perfect or imperfect, to take care of and to use.  I have seen people with serious disabilities, pushing their limits to the extreme, to keep in shape and to remind us to take care of ourselves.  You can do something, anything, and it will help.

Do what you can....

No comments:

Post a Comment