Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Don't Give Up

     My wife always tells me that she knows how my story will end...someone is going to run over me with a car while I'm out for a run.  Why, you ask?  Well, I have a tendency to yell at people who stop in the crosswalks at intersections. I yell at people who almost hit me when they make a right turn on red, when I have the right of way. I yell at the people who park on the sidewalks --and they are all over the city of Scranton.  I had to tie an identification tag to my sneaker in case, to give her at least the chance of getting a call when this happens.
     I like running on different streets around the city or at Nay Aug Park.  Most days, my hip hurts and I have some pain in different joints.  It's odd but I don't feel the pain when I run.  I feel a sense of accomplishment that I keep moving and am burning some calories.  I stretch out after running, trying to keep all the joints limber and keep moving into my late 50s.  I also feel that there is a very deep connection between keeping fit and maintaining cognitive brain function as you get older.  I run on the treadmill when it's bitter cold outside or there is a lot of snow on the ground.  The treadmill is nice because I can run fast, slow, backwards and really do a variety of things to vary the workout.
     There are many days that I don't feel like running, I feel like sitting on the couch, sipping my coffee and working on my papers and research for my classes.  I don't.  You have to move to stay flexible.  You have to move to help your blood flow and even keep your brain healthy.  It doesn't matter what you do.  Take your pet out to play in the snow.  Walk over to the convenient and buy that winning lottery ticket.  Shovel a path for your neighbor when they can't.  It doesn't matter how big or small the effort is.  It is the effort and the attitude that matter.


....I will never give up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment