Sunday, April 13, 2014

Carbohydrates and You.

     I had the opportunity to go to a taping of the Dr. Oz show in NYC on Friday with my wife.  Not a great experience but I didn't mind it as much as she did.  The last segment taped was a segment on carbohydrates and how this physician/researcher claimed that they can cause dementia.  He suggested that you have no more than 11 grams of carbohydrates per day.  Yes, per day.  To put that into perspective, a half of a cup of grapes has 14.2 grams of carbohydrates.  As we head into Easter, a handful of jelly beans has around 30 grams of carbohydrates.  You can have one moderately large tangerine a day.  It has 11 grams.  Hallelujah.
     As you know, I am an "everything in moderation" kind of guy.  I believe if you exercise by doing what you can and eat less sugar and carbohydrates, you will live a healthier life.  If  you just take a walk- you are making an effort to lead a healthier life. We need a variety of things to live and be happy.  I like a variety of vegetables, beans, meat, fruit and snacks.  I like fresh fruit and vegetables and they are good for you.  A half a cup of carrots has 6 grams of carbohydrates.  Is this guy trying to tell me that I've overdone it by eating a cup of carrots every day?  How ridiculous.  You need to eat fat to keep your brain and organs functioning.  Carbohydrates give you energy to burn in your daily activities and your exercising.  You need lean protein as well..  Eggs, fish, poultry, meat are all necessary to keep the body moving, to keep the brain clear.  Everything in moderation.

Eat to live and be happier and healthier.
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment