Sunday, July 26, 2015

Doing Something

So, it's been 4 weeks and 3 days since I had a hip replacement, and 4 weeks and 4 days since I ran last. That does not mean that I am content to sit on the couch and watch television all day. I AM sitting more than usual and watching TV more than I should but I still understand the need to do something physical. For the past week or so, I have been walking on my treadmill. Currently I am up to 1 1/2 miles at about an 18 minute/mile pace. Nothing record shattering, but it is what I can do. I also do a few other things that include a couple push-ups, a few dozen crunches and the like. The point is: if you can't run: walk. If you can't do push-ups, lean against the wall and push back like an elevated push-up. If push-ups are way too easy, put your feet against the wall and your hands on the floor and do upside-down push-ups. Do what you can, when you can, but keep doing. If you cannot walk for 20 minutes non-stop try doing 10 minutes twice a day. If muscles don't grow, or at least maintain, they atrophy, and none of us can afford to have that happen.

Baby steps and still steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment