Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sunny day

Monday was unseasonably warm. Not stifling, but mid 80's. All in all a good day to go for a run or walk. I opted to run. Running is my thing, it need not be yours. Walking is actually a much better choice. It has all of the benefits of running:  fresh air; exercise; but none of the impact. Impact is the enemy. Impact will tear up your ankles, your knees and your hips.

When I run (even at my slow pace) I impact all of my landing-foot side's  (right side or left side depending on the foot) joints with 2 1/2 times my body weight each time I go from sidewalk to road. That means that when I run off the sidewalk to cross a street, my right foot (or left) makes contact with the road at about 500 pounds of force. That force goes right into my ankle, right up to my knee, and continues to my hip. My back will also feel the force of this pounding. If my shoes are just a little worn out, the impact will be intensified.

I seldom run on the sidewalk, I run on the road, and stay on the road, unless I am in town. Then because of traffic, I use the sidewalk. On a normal foot strike, without launching myself from a sidewalk, I still impact the ground at almost twice my body weight, or at almost 400 pounds of force.

I should be walking. I know its safer for my joints to walk. I enjoy walking, I just happen to enjoy running more.

Be active, be happy

No comments:

Post a Comment