Monday, September 5, 2011

What I'm not

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on television. I did play a doctor once or twice when I was otherwise "entertaining," but that is another story for another time. For the record though, I have also played a pizza delivery guy.

So, before you try anything that I might suggest, make sure that you have the approval of a real doctor. You should also NEVER try to do anything that does not feel right to you.

It is Labor Day weekend. In Scranton, that means "La Festa Italiana." Just as everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day in this area, everyone is at least a little Italian on Labor Day weekend.

La Festa Italiana is pretty much a food festival. It is veal and peppers, cannolis and pizza. There is music in the air, and red sauce on your shirt. It is also crowded enough, that a "Jazzi" is hard to operate. So when you go, and I do suggest that you go, be fit enough to walk around. Be fit enough to park two or three blocks away, and weave your way around the vendors.

If you don't walk now, perhaps it is a good time to start. If you never walk anywhere, try walking around the block or so after dinner. It will only take a few minutes. You'll feel better, and you may even get to meet and greet a neighbor.

Now if you're twenty years old, you may be thinking: what good is walking around a block going to do me? But if you're twenty years old and weigh 400 pounds, or are 40, 50 or 60 years old or older, and never exercise, perhaps you should just try it and see.

You don't have to go crazy to make progress and become more fit. Just do one little thing that you haven't done in a while. It could be walking one block, doing one push-up, or throwing a football or baseball back and forth with your kid.

Be active, be happy.

1 comment: