Friday, September 30, 2011

Running down the road

Sometimes when I run, I am able to forget about fighting with the significant other, the screaming kids, the cat fur on my best dark pants, and the boss/professor that is stressing me. I can breathe deep, feel the sun on my face and occasionally I'll cross another runner's path and I'll enjoy the view for just a moment (I'm old, not dead).

These are just a few of the reasons I run. Yeah, it helps me keep my weight down (I do enjoy food), and running makes me feel a little more alive, but I really enjoy the way it helps me "defrag."

In 1972 (yes, I was a sophomore in high school) The Eagles released a song that had been written by Glenn Frey and Jackson Browne. In it you can hear the words: "I'm running down the road tryin' to loosen my load..." That describes many of my runs.

When you're stressed do NOT kick the dog, scream at your life partner (or even the person that you barely know), just lace up your sneakers and hit the street. Your sanity will endure one more day.

Be active, be happy

No comments:

Post a Comment