Saturday, December 10, 2011

Taking a ride

I was in the mood for something a little different today. That happens from time to time. I decided to go for a short run  then do a little more. I ran a fairly quick 2 miles on a course that I do sometimes if my time is short. This time, however, after I got back, instead of walking for 5 or so blocks and then stretching, I jumped right onto our recumbent bike. This prepares me minimally for a biathlon. A biathlon is two events. One event is running and the other is biking, though they can be any two events. Sometimes a biathlon consists of a mountain bike ride and a canoe race. Usually, however, a biathlon (sometimes called a duathlon), starts with a run, goes to a bike ride, then finishes with a 2nd run.

There is one of these races in Sandy Hook, NJ that I have done a few times. It does not have to be a very long race. I think the one in Sandy Hook was 2 miles running; 12 or 15 miles on a bike; then a second run of about 3 miles. It has been a while, so the distances may be off just a bit. The whole thing was over in about 1 1/2 hours. I used to do races at the shore in NJ because I got to do my thing, and my family got a mini vacation out of it. 

Be active, sit down but don't relax just yet

No comments:

Post a Comment