Sunday, October 23, 2011

Speed 2

There are times when you want to work on speed. Not just a pace which is what I was explaining a few days ago. This is raw speed. As fast as you can move your legs, not a specific pace for a longer distance. Running like this is anaerobic exercise (without air).

That is what I worked on today. I warmed up for about a mile. Then I found a loop that is about a quarter mile circle. I ran slowly for about 2/3 of it, then I ran as fast as I could for the last 1/3. Then around again. It is harder to run all out with repeats than it is to pace yourself, but it helps burn "carry over" calories. Calories that will be used after you stop working out. I did 6 laps like that. My final dash was much slower than my 1st. one. This is one way to build speed into a workout and into your mind-set. If you do races there will be times when you want to speed up and not get passed by someone in your age group. The more often you force your body to do something it isn't fond of doing, the easier it is to get it to comply.

Be active, be happy 

No comments:

Post a Comment